All About The Sport of Sabre Fencing

Think of a sport. What comes to mind? Basketball, soccer, football? Probably the sport of fencing does not come to mind. You might not even know what fencing is. I love fencing. I really like out of the ordinary sports. Fencing, is a sword fighting sport involving three different swords. The epee, the foil, and the sabre. I do sabre. Sabre fencing is a sport where the objective is to score a point on the other fencer by hitting them with your sword.

A fencer ready to bout, avantgardefencersclub.com

Rules

In fencing, you usually play to 15 points. There are not a ton of rules but there is a right of way rule. That means if both people hit, the one who started to attack first gets the point. Also who ever parries (blocks) last has the priority. There are other rules like you can’t run or cross your feet. You can’t go off the end of the piste (the fencing strip).

The fencing piste, thefencingcoach.org.uk

Safety

Fencing is one of the safest sports you can play while folowing your club’s rules and whearing safe safety equipment.

Two fencers in about, betterfencer.com

I hope you would like to try out this amazing sport. It is very beginner friendly, and almost every club has a beginner program.

One thought on “All About The Sport of Sabre Fencing

1. Dear Ben,
    You taught me so much about sabre fencing! You really made me want to try it out! I love how you included pictures because it helps me to visualize the sport of fencing and understand it more.
    From,
    Alex