May 12th Cubing Competition!

I have just gotten back from my first ever cubing competition! I mentioned this in my Feliks Zemdegs post and I was super excited for it. I was only able to participate in 3×3 only but I still had a blast solving, and meeting lots of new people at the competition. Here is how the day went.

My dad and I drove up the night before to avoid waking up at 3:00 AM in the morning to drive there on Saturday.

Late night adjustments at the hotel.

Driving to McAdenville!

We stayed in a hotel and drove there on Saturday from a much closer distance. We parked and walked up to the small YMCA building that the competition was being hosted at. I sat down at a table and did some solves. After a few minutes, a few other kids joined me at my table. There were about 70 competitors. I talked with the kids at my table and learned that they were some first timers also. We practiced together and tried each others cubes. There was a really quick solver at my table and I got to try one of his cubes I have always wanted. I was in 3×3 heat one so I got to do my solves very early on. I did five solves and I averaged 44 seconds. For me, this is really bad but it wasn’t horrible. But, I did get a 31 second solve which I was super happy about. I didn’t move onto round two but I still had a great time. Here are some of my solves my dad got on video.

My 12th Cubing Competition! Video 1 from DA MS Student Council on Vimeo.

My 12th Cubing Competition! Video 2 from DA MS Student Council on Vimeo.

My final thoughts are that competitions are a blast. You get so much practice, experience, and you get to meet and talk with tons of new people. If you can solve a cube using the beginners in under two or so minutes, you should definitely go to competition. There were even parents solving it in like 1 minute and 40 seconds and they were still having a fun time. As a matter of fact, the day after this competition I signed up for another competition in June! My goal for the June competition is to get at least one sub 30 second solve and get a sub 40 second average. I also am doing 2×2 at this competition and I am really excited.